Bunbury Catholic College and Our Lady of Mercy College in Australind have joined forces in providing opportunities for Indigenous students by offering MADALAH Secondary Education Scholarships.
Principals Rob Crothers (Our Lady of Mercy College Australind) and Michael Pepper (Bunbury Catholic College) are excited to announce that both schools have recently become MADALAH partner schools. This means Indigenous students who enrol at these two Colleges can now apply for a Secondary Education Scholarship.
“Through this important partnership with MADALAH, our Colleges will be creating exciting new educational opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to achieve their lifelong dreams and ambitions,” Mr Pepper said.
MADALAH Limited is a not-for-profit organisation that offers secondary and tertiary education scholarships for Indigenous students from remote and regional communities to Western Australia’s leading schools and Australian universities.
The MADALAH scholarships will begin in 2021 and scholarship funds can be utilised for a number of school expenses including: school fees & tuition, boarding & accommodation, uniforms, textbooks & stationery, IT equipment, school leadership, cultural or sporting camps/tours, tutoring, mentoring or counselling, personal expenses (e.g. health & hygiene).
Our Lady of Mercy College and Bunbury Catholic College continue to offer mentoring programs and personal support for Indigenous students.
Kelli Schmitt, Aboriginal Liaison Officer who works for both Colleges said: “Both Colleges believe education is the key to generational change and opportunity. They are committed to making a difference in the lives of their students, their families and communities.”
MADALAH Secondary Scholarships 2021 are now open and interested applicants can contact Kelli Schmitt, Aboriginal Liaison Officer for Bunbury Catholic College and Our Lady of Mercy College.
Scholarship applications are open until 14 September 2020.
Criteria for Secondary Student Scholarship applications:
- Be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent and be able to provide proof of descent
- Be eligible for ABSTUDY and provide proof OR be able to demonstrate some form of disadvantage, eg; financial, geographic, etc
- Be seeking a secondary school scholarship
- Apply to one Our Lady of Mercy College or Bunbury Catholic College and provide proof of offer or enrolment where you have it (this proof will be required before any scholarship can be considered)
- Provide most recent academic results
- Have a good school attendance and behaviour record
- Provide one letter from a referee
- Students have a home location in Western Australia