Key Messages General
- NAPLAN 2018 will take place from 15-17 May for those doing the paper assessment; and between 15-25 May for those taking the NAPLAN online assessment
- In 2018, NAPLAN will begin moving from paper assessment to online assessment with some schools and students in a number of states and territories undertaking NAPLAN Online.
- NAPLAN assists governments, education authorities and schools to see whether young Australians are reaching important literacy and numeracy goals.
- NAPLAN is a point in time assessment that allows parents to see how their child is progressing against national minimum standards and over time.
- NAPLAN assesses the sorts of skills that are essential for every child to progress through school and life, such as reading, writing, spelling and numeracy.
- NAPLAN is used to support school improvement processes by enabling teachers to monitor their students’ progress over time against a national measure and to identify areas of strength and development.
- Literacy and numeracy assessments have been undertaken in schools across the country for decades. NAPLAN complements these assessments but adds a valuable national dimension.
- NAPLAN questions are directly linked to the Australian Curriculum: English and Mathematics. As such, the best preparation students can do for NAPLAN is to learn what they do in the classroom every day.
- In its 11th year, NAPLAN is a regular part of the school calendar. It is important to keep NAPLAN in context – children should treat NAPLAN test days the same as any other school day. What is assessed in NAPLAN is what is taught in the classroom.
- ACARA does not support cramming or drilling in the lead-up to NAPLAN, however, some familiarisation and explanation of NAPLAN in the weeks prior to NAPLAN commencing is worthwhile to help students understand and be comfortable with the format of the assessment. Some past NAPLAN questions are available at www.nap.edu.au.
Key Messages NAPLAN Online
- NAPLAN Online offers substantial benefits for students and teachers including better assessment, more precise information, faster turnaround of results and a more engaging experience.
- Significant research, planning and readiness activities have been undertaken in preparation for moving NAPLAN online.
- Approximately 200 000 students will be doing NAPLAN online nationally. All schools are to be online by 2020.
- A public demonstration site for NAPLAN Online has been available since 2016 for parents and students to become familiar with the types of questions online assessment provides. This is available at: https://www.nap.edu.au/online-assessment/naplan-online/naplan-online-public-demonstration-site
NAPLAN Online – additional parent information
Information brochures for parents and carers explaining NAPLAN 2018 have been developed including for NAPLAN online.
- BCC Year 7 and 9 students will sit the NAPLAN online tests this year. Your child’s school and teacher are well prepared for NAPLAN online. Those not taking NAPLAN online this year will sit the NAPLAN paper test.
- NAPLAN online uses tailored testing, where the test automatically adapts to student performance and asks questions that match the student achievement level, allowing the student to demonstrate their knowledge. The use of adaptive testing means that more precise results will be available for teachers and schools.
- Results for both formats of NAPLAN (online and on paper) will be reported on the same NAPLAN assessment scale and results will be comparable. This can be done because students are presented with questions that test the same range of difficulty, regardless of whether they complete the test online or on paper.
- The test window for NAPLAN online is extended from three days to nine days to provide flexibility in scheduling and to accommodate schools that may have fewer devices.
- Your schools and the local test administration authority can provide information if required on NAPLAN online disability adjustments.
- Significant readiness and preparedness activities have been undertaken to prepare for NAPLAN online including training and practice tests in schools
- There are detailed procedures in place to ensure any incidents that arise can be managed and ensure that any impacts on students will be minimal, no student will be disadvantaged, and students will be able to complete their NAPLAN assessment.
- For students doing NAPLAN Online, the platform saves student answers every 30 seconds. If there is an issue with technology, assessments can be resumed or rescheduled.